Thursday, January 28, 2010

Library time(Quinoa salad recipe)

I'm in the library about to start my epidemiology homework that I just couldn't get started yesterday. It is due next Tuesday, so I'm not behind yet- thank goodness. I can hear the weekend calling- filled with dinner dates, dog sitting, and hopefully tons of time outside!

I stayed up last night to watch the State of Union, so yoga nor the gym happened in the early am. Tomorrow and Saturday are going to be big workout days!!

Food wise today:

Breakfast- turkey chili( I do love soup/stew/chili for breakfast-so warm and filling) with a tiny bit of butternut soup I made yesterday mixed in.
1 cup of coffee with 1/4 cup of leftover cocoa(which I made last night after dinner)

Snacks:
homemade yogurt
apple

Lunch:
Quinoa and vegetable salad with tuna



Quinoa Salad Recipe

1 cup of quinoa
1 cup of low sodium organic chicken stock
1 cup of water
2 red peppers(diced)
3 carrots(diced)
3 scallions(diced)
1/2 zucchini(diced)
1 cup of parsley(chopped) **I love parsley**
block of reduced fat feta(crumbled)
1 can of low sodium chickpeas(drained and rinsed)

Dressing
2 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. agave nectar
2-4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper


Cook quinoa following box instructions(2 cups of liquid for one cup of quinoa). I use one cup chicken broth and one cup of water. After quinoa is cooked, mix in all ingredients from peppers down to chickpeas. Top with dressing, and mix thoroughly. Add tuna, chicken, etc for more added protein! Makes about 5-6 servings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment