Sunday, January 2, 2011

Arepas for Lunch




I haven't been as careful in the last two days about my gluten consumption and have been getting sick. Don't feel bad for me though, it's totally my own fault!

So today I really cracked down on myself and drove to Whole Foods to grab some materials. I made arepas for lunch and have beef stew cooking in a crockpot all day for dinner.

Arepas are really easy to make!

Ingredients:
2 cups of masa harina flour(I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 tsp of salt or less
2 cups of hot water
1 tbsp. canola oil

Preheat oven to 400°.
Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir well. Add 2 cups hot water and stir until well combined and smooth.
Let stand 10 minutes.
Divide dough into 8 portions, shaping each into a circle about 3-4 inches wide and 1/2 inches thick.
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the arepas and cook for 2 minutes on each side, about four will it in the pan. Repeat procedure with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining arepas.
Place the arepas on a baking sheet for 20 minutes or until they sound hollow when tapped lightly.
To serve slice down the middle about half way through and fill with your favorite ingredients.

My arepa ball



Post oven time arepa


Today, I added a half of thinly sliced Cabot and turkey, sauteed onions, corn salsa and fresh squeezed lime! It was unbelievable!

4 comments:

Bryan Phillips said...

Yummy! The lime went SO well with the sweetness of the arepa and the corn salsa

stewball said...

As a spanish teacher, i have to comment!! i'd chow that any day of the week. no need to get on a plane!! great stuff!!

Matt @ FaveDiets said...

This is such a great recipe, thanks for sharing it. Masa harina flour is fairly inexpensive at my local grocery store, but I haven't gotten around to buying any because I don't have many recipes that for masa harina. I'm definitely saving this recipe for later!

Anonymous said...

Those look fantastic!

Post a Comment