Monday, October 11, 2010

Soups Galore and more


I knew exactly what I wanted to do with the rest of our 'roaster' chicken from last night. I made chicken stock, of course.

Today's broth ingredients:
- 3x garlic cloves
- one onion - quartered
- 2x carrots- cut in halves
- 2x celery stalks- cut in halves
- 1 tbsp. of diced ginger
- 1/2 cup of parsley
- 10 cups of water
- chicken roaster

I placed all the ingredients in a soup pot, and brought it to a boil. I then simmered the ingredients for 2 and half hours, and strained out the broth.

I made a total of 2 and half quarts of stock.

I decided to use one quart to make Black bean and Pumpkin soup.

The quart of freshly made stock, and cumin for the soup.





Meg’s Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup

2x 15 oz. cans of blacks beans (drained and washed)
2x 15 oz. cans of pumpkin puree
1x carton of organic low sodium chicken broth( 4 cups) OR homemade stock
1x medium yellow onion, diced
½- 1 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
2-3 tbsp. of brown sugar
1 tbsp. cumin(or more to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
Greek yogurt or sour cream(optional)

Dice onion. Heat in semi- large soup pot with olive oil, on medium high heat and sauté the diced onion for 3-5 minutes til clear. Add cumin and stir for 30 seconds. Then add the chicken broth, drained beans, brown sugar, and pumpkin puree. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Let cool slightly(enough to blend of mixture). Then, puree half of the soup in a blender or with a hand blender. Serve with a dollop of light sour cream or greek yogurt(optional).



It makes about 9 cups of soup!


Then, for dinner I made turkey enchiladas. I added baby spinach into the ground turkey to add some green. I also made a easy black bean dip to slather onto the corn tortillas. I added about 1 tbsp. of cheddar into each one, as well as one slice of red pepper.


The enchiladas without the homemade mole sauce.




The enchiladas with their homemade mole sauce. Woo hoo! This one turned out really well. I kept throwing things into the pan, I'll try to explain my path as best as I can...





I started with this can of tomatoes. I found these today at Market Basket on sale for $1.50/can. They only have 15 mg of sodium per serving, much LOWER than a normal can of tomatoes.


I blended the tomatoes in the food processor and added lots of spices.
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. of chiptole flakes
1 tsp. of chili powder
1 tsp. of agave nectar
4x whole dark chocolate Hershey kisses(yep, mole has chocolate)
2 tbsp. of unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 onion, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. of salt

I added everything into a saucepan on the stove, and left it on low for 30 minutes mixing every 5 minutes. I really liked it!

My dinner: Ground Turkey Mole Enchiladas








4 comments:

Kerrie said...

you can't beat a good home made soup made with home made stock! so simple, but so satisfying!!

Meg said...

Tis true! Nothing beats it!

Hallie B said...

What a great looking Scott Barnum mug!

Meg said...

Oh yeah Hallie! :) Thanks for reading!

Post a Comment