Monday, November 16, 2009

Turkey Chili

Turkey Chili(Gluten Free)

- 1 lbs. of ground turkey(94% lean)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes(large)
- 1 medium yellow onion – diced
- 1 to 2 small sweet potatoes( diced)
- 1x can of black beans(drained and rinsed)
- 1x can of white kidney beans(drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tbls. of cumin
- 1 tbls. of chili powder
- 1 tbls. of Rooster sauce(found in Asian section of every grocery store)
- Salt & pepper to taste
Optional Add ins:
- 1x pepper(green or red)
- 1 to 2x shredded carrots(with cheese grater or by hand) ** I add these ***
- ½ can of adobo chili sauce
- 1 to 2 tbls. of agave nectar
- 1x can of tomato paste(I add this in mine)

Brown the turkey meat in a skillet, until cooked through- about 5 to 7 minutes on medium to high heat. Then add in the onion and the sweet potatoes to the skillet, cook for about 5 minutes. Next, throw all the kids (all the ingredients) into a large pot or your slow cooker. I usually cook the chili for atleast four hours on low in the slow cooker (crockpot) or 3 hours on the stove at low heat. Sometimes, I will make the chili in the morning, and leave it on all day (for about six hours) and it taste fantastic as well! This usually serves atleast two meals- dinner and lunch the next day for two people! We eat it with corn tortilla chips or my boyfriend loves his with pretzels!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meg,
I've made this chili recipe a number of times and everyone loves it. I actually tend to make it without the turkey since I have a number of friends that are vegetarians. To make up for the meat I add the green pepper, tomato paste, extra diced tomatoes, and an extra can of beans (whatever I have in the house), and of course I add extra garlic cloves!
Thanks for making me look like a great cook!
-Claire

Meg said...

Thanks Claire! I do love chili! :)

Post a Comment