Thursday, September 30, 2010

A mexican bake and more...

I started the morning off with a home strength workout, with a quick warm up on the spin bike. I couldn't get to Wendy's class this morning, so I compiled a nice home workout filled with tons of lunges, dips and crunches.

Then, I headed to the hospital.

I picked up these Go Raw Ginger Snaps in the cafeteria. I think they're pretty good, but definitely an acquired taste! They have a very strong ginger taste, and mixed with sesame seeds, coconut, and dates they taste almost 'islandy.'



Then, I met my wonderful thesis partner Elise for our meeting with our advisors. We got a lot done, and I'm excited to get the ball rolling.

I wasn't feeling like making a long drawn out dinner tonight and decided to make 'whatever I have in the cabinets' for dinner.


I found : Black beans, brown rice, diced tomatoes, corn, red peppers, red onions, and
50% light Cabot cheddar... so I made a MEXICAN BAKE!!


Ingredients:
1 cup of cooked brown rice
1 28oz can of organic diced tomatoes
1/4 cup of diced red onion
1/2 red peppers, diced
3/4 cup of frozen corn
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tbsp of chili powder
1/2 tbsp of cumin
1/4 cup of 50% light cheddar
1/2 tbsp of olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350. Saute the red onion, corn and red peppers for 2-3 minutes on medium high heat with the olive oil. Add the tomatoes, black beans and spices- simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the cooked brown rice. Toss everything together. Then, add the mixture into a 9x9 pan. Cover the mixture in cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.

Non- cheese topped Mexican Bake



Just out of the oven ...my mouth was watering...


My plate ;)





Luna pretending she's bored while I've been blogging... I mean really puppy girl...

0 comments:

Post a Comment