Wednesday, November 3, 2010
I have had many posts this week on this recipe. So, here it is for your cooking pleasure...
Butternut Squash and Chicken Sausage Bake(adapted from the Lee Bros Southern Cookbook)
- 3 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into thin slices (about 6 cups)
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk OR 1 cup of lowfat milk with 1 tsp of apple vinegar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs (I used 2 pieces of gf toasted bread, and then pulsed in a food processor)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. of black pepper
- 2 cups coarsely grated cheddar cheese(I used half 50% light cheddar & half seriously sharp cheddar.
- 1 package of Al fresco apple chicken sausage, cut into small slices
- 2 cups of frozen spinach
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Use a 9-x-13-inch baking dish.
- Place water in a large stockpot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the squash to the water, return to a boil, and cook for 6 minutes. Drain it and set aside.
- Place 1 tbsp of olive oil into a pan set on medium to low heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Then, add the chicken sausage and spinach. Cool on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Place in a bowl the warm squash, buttermilk, eggs, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and 1 1/2 cups cheese. Mix with a spatula until the ingredients are well combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes more. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Posted by Meg at 3:15 PM